TomTom reveals revolutionary IQ Routes technology on new TomTom GO series
~ Unique route calculation method based on actual average speeds on roads provides smartest route calculation on the market today ~
CeBIT - Hanover, 3 March 2008. TomTom, the world’s largest portable navigation solutions provider today announces ground-breaking features and unique content on the new TomTom GO range, including the unique IQ Routes™ technology and Advanced Lane Guidance.
The innovative IQ Routes™ technology is based on real average speeds measured on roads, rather than static maximum speeds per road type. This means the new TomTom GO range determines a route by considering all possible routes and then selecting the one that takes the least time. In almost 50% of all journeys, this results in driving a different and faster route, saving significant travel time as well as saving money and fuel.
In addition, the new TomTom GO series features Advanced Lane Guidance, a first for the navigation mass market. Advanced Lane Guidance gives drivers a more realistic view and enhanced visual instructions of drivers’ surroundings, ensuring they are better informed about the situation ahead.
The two new features will be available with the new TomTom GO series: the TomTom GO 930, TomTom GO 730 and TomTom GO 530 from the end of April 2008.
“With the introduction of IQ Routes™ technology, we continue to focus our efforts on features and content that improve the core navigation experience”, says Harold Goddijn, TomTom’s chief executive officer. “Everyone knows that traffic on Sunday is different to traffic on Monday and this is exactly what has been taken into account on the new TomTom GO. IQ Routes™ delivers what we call ‘intelligent routing’ – an even smarter and efficient way of planning your daily route.”
TomTom IQ Routes™
The new TomTom IQ Routes™ technology is based on actual average speeds on roads, rather than the sign-posted speed limits. This intelligent routing technology is based on anonymous historical speed profiles of over 10 billion kilometres of driven roads, gathered over the years by millions of TomTom users. It takes into account all the factors that may influence the time it takes drivers to get to their destination, including traffic lights, roundabouts, steep slopes and speed bumps.
The TomTom IQ Routes™ speed profile database continues to grow at the rate of over half a billion measurements per day, so the time and spatial accuracy of TomTom IQ Routes™ technology will continually increase. Drivers can be confident that they will always be given the smartest route incorporating detailed local knowledge. This allows for more efficient daily route planning, in particular when driving through urban and mountainous areas.
Advanced Lane Guidance
With the new Advanced Lane Guidance feature, navigating difficult junctions becomes easier than ever before. The realistic representation of highway junctions on the screen including clear arrows indicating the lane direction, provide drivers with timely instructions to take the correct lane. Static images of road signs, in the same colour as the ones displayed on the road ensure drivers have an even better overview of their surroundings.
A host of extra features*
The TomTom GO 930, TomTom GO 730 and TomTom GO 530 will replace the current TomTom GO range. Combining the static historical data of TomTom IQ Routes™ with dynamic information of TomTom HD Traffic™ * - TomTom’s real time traffic service, and maps that incorporate daily updates via TomTom Map Share™, the new range offers the ultimate and most intelligent navigation on the market today.
The TomTom GO range also features a new premium look with high quality finish, expanded map coverage and the device comes preinstalled with the latest navigation features, including:
- TomTom Map Share™ technology enabling users to make corrections to their own maps instantly and benefit from improvements made by other users completely free of change;
- Latest map guarantee so users always have free access to the latest map at time of purchase;
- Plug & play traffic through new TomTom High Definition Traffic Receiver***, so drivers can receive real-time, high definition traffic information on motorways and secondary roads or TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for detailed traffic information;
- Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) for uninterrupted navigation even in tunnels or highly built areas (TomTom GO 930 only);
- Large 4.3 inch touch screen with new generation icons and an updated user interface to navigate drivers to their destination even easier;
- Voice address input drive to millions of cities and street names by simply announcing the address of your destination;
- Clear voice instructions and text-to-speech to enable street names, places, traffic alerts and SMS messages to be read aloud as part of the spoken instructions;
- Enhanced hands-free calling with high quality sound system via Bluetooth® to allow drivers to keep their eyes firmly on the road whilst making phone calls in the car;
- Extensive safety features including ‘Help Me’ menu to give drivers direct access to emergency services and roadside assistance;
- Built-in FM Transmitter to play music and navigation instructions seamlessly over the car stereo;
- New smart & fun extras to personalise users’ devices, including recording your own driving instructions, view documents, exchange positions via SMS and Bluetooth™ wireless technology and select a favourite car icon on the screen;
- Free TomTom HOME software and content from the TomTom community to keep your TomTom device up to date at all times;
- Pre-installed safety camera database providing drivers with timely information on safety cameras on drivers’ routes;
- Full range of accessories to match the design and finish of the updated GO range
- TomTom GO 930 comes pre-installed with the most up-to-date seamless maps of 35 countries in Western & Eastern Europe, USA, Canada and Russia with maximum detail stored on the internal memory;
- The TomTom GO 730 comes with new expanded map coverage including the latest seamless map of 31 countries in Western & Eastern Europe;
- The TomTom GO 530 comes pre-installed with door-to-door maps of a region.
The premium TomTom GO range will be available across Europe and the USA from the end of April 2008 and will differ per country.
Product technical specifications
- 4.3” widescreen 16:9 format LCD (WQVGA: 480*272 pixels)
- CPU 400 MHz
- TomTom GO 930: 4 GB internal flash memory, TomTom GO 530/730: 1-2 GB
- SD card socket
- High sensitivity GPS receiver
- Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation)
- Dimensions: 118 mm x 83 mm x 24 mm
- Weight: 220 grams
IQ Routes™ technology: www.tomtom.com/iq-routes
Advanced Lane Guidance: www.tomtom.com/lane-guidance
* Please check availability of these features in your country
** TomTom GO 730 comes with maps of Western & Eastern Europe
*** See next press release on HD Traffic receiver